It’s a situation that happens with every entrepreneur: they’ve got a great idea, they’re setting out, thinking that it will make them rich and fulfill their biggest dream. Yet being an entrepreneur isn’t all fun and games, and the pressure and stress that comes from managing the unknown day after day provides no shortage of stress. Yet there are ways for you to manage that stress; I recently came across an article that features six ways to stay optimistic when facing the “entrepreneur blues”, listed below:
1. Be thankful: The author of the article advises entrepreneurs to write down three things every day for which they are thankful, but these need to be new things each time, so nothing can be repeated. This trains your brain to constantly search for positive angles, because after a while finding three new things to be thankful for every day can be tough.
2. Surround yourself with good people: It’s only natural to adopt the attitudes of people around us, and optimism is contagious. We’ve all got those friends we just enjoy being around, since they emit positivity. Of course, the opposite is also true. Avoid those kind of people as much as you can.
3. Be mindful: All sorts of health practitioners, coaches and organizations are boosting mindfulness as a way to boost employee engagement and productivity.
4. Consistently exercise: Studies show that exercise releases chemicals that reverse the effects of stress. Try working out for 20 minutes three times a week for a month, and chances are you’ll feel better at the end of it.
5. Set and achieve small goals: Setting goals is a great way to boost your self-efficacy; achieving goals allows you to tap into an unknown part of your character, bringing all sorts of new potential into the game. Yet goals need to challenge you; something that you write down and check off is a to-do item.
6. Choose your words carefully: Positive self-talk has got no shortage of power; replace negative words like “can’t”, “need to” or “have to” with ones like “am”, “choose” or “being”. Adopting such a mindset can take a big mental shift, but once you can you’ll feel a lot stronger.